Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book Review: Defy by Sara B. Larson

Defy (Defy, #1)Defy by Sara B. Larson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm not an avid reader of fantasy so I'm unfamiliar with other books in this genre. Therefore I can't compare it to other fantasy books. But overall it was a good read, though some elements of it need some work in my opinion. For example, it seemed like Alex/Alexa was strong as long as she thought everyone thought she was a boy. After that, she became very fragile and her peers felt like she needed to be protected.

There's a lot of talk about physical attraction from the main character when she sees her peers shirtless which gets a little tiring after a while but perhaps that's the author's way of portraying the main character's struggle with her identity as a girl pretending to be a boy.

The plot has lots of twists and turns which I think is great for keeping the reader going, wanting to find out what happens next.

From what I understand, this book is going to be part of a series. I look forward to reading more in the future because I'm interested in seeing how the story plays out. But I hope Alex/Alexa is stronger in future books.

Like I said, I'm not a real reader of fantasy, so I don't really know what to expect from this genre. But I probably would purchase this for my library's collection for those students who do enjoy fantasy -- because I'm sure many of them would be interested in this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment